Benefits of Short-Term Rehabilitation for Seniors
Your physician might recommend short-term rehabilitation following a planned surgery or unexpected injury. Ideally, rehab should be the first step following many procedures before going home, but for many seniors, there is hesitation. While you should always trust the expertise and advice of your doctor, you should also be motivated to do whatever it takes to have a speedy and productive recovery.
Depending on where you live, there are several options for short-term rehabilitation:
- Stand-alone rehab centers
- Rehab departments within hospitals
- Senior living communities with dedicated rehabilitation areas (sometimes called “neighborhoods”)
What Is Short-Term Rehabilitation?
Short-term rehabilitation for the elderly provides 24/7 medical and therapeutic services to older adults following an injury, accident, or illness. These services are intended for temporary use, and most individuals experience recovery within weeks or a couple of months.
What Are the Benefits of a Short-Term Rehab Center Within a Senior Living Community?
Short-term rehabilitation for the elderly can provide numerous benefits in various circumstances. Most senior living communities tailor rehabilitation services to each individual’s needs through on-site occupational, physical and speech therapies. Some of the other beneficial reasons to consider short-term rehab within a full-service senior living community include:
- Warm, caring environment – Throughout your recovery, you need support from the individuals around you. At Parkwood, we take great strides to provide a homelike environment with friendly, highly trained rehab specialists. Many individuals prefer the atmosphere of such a setting over a more clinical environment that might be found in a hospital.
- Help is always available – If you choose to go immediately home after a surgery or accident, you rely on family and friends to provide the support you need. Since your family can’t offer 24/7 care, you might not get the immediate attention you need. At Parkwood, licensed caregivers are on-site day and night, so someone is always available to help.
- On-site therapy – As mentioned earlier, senior rehabilitation facilities provide various therapies on-site so that short-term residents can access the care they need. Parkwood offers a highly qualified staff of therapists, nurses, physicians and more. Having access to physical, occupational and speech therapy can speed up recovery and ensure the quickest path to healing.
- Organized activities – As a full-service senior living community, Parkwood offers many inviting amenities and convenient services for rehab residents to enjoy. While you might only be a short-term guest, you can still take advantage of the many opportunities around you. So while you’re working hard on your recovery journey, you can also enjoy chef-prepared meals, social events and more.
- Make recovery a priority – If you go back to your everyday life immediately after a hospital stay or surgery, you’re responsible for keeping up with day-to-day home maintenance. Short-term rehabilitation for the elderly offers a respite from home maintenance. Residents don’t have to worry about household responsibilities and can instead focus all their energy on recovery.
Short-term rehabilitation for the elderly has many advantages worth considering. If you’ve been planning to explore your options, start a conversation with your physician to develop an action plan that helps you get back on your feet and back home as quickly as possible.
Recover Faster with Senior Rehabilitation at Parkwood
At Parkwood, our experienced team of senior rehabilitation professionals is committed to helping you recover the strengths, skills, independence and confidence to return home to family and friends. Our senior rehabilitation program provides physical, speech and occupational therapy by some of the most outstanding therapists in Tarrant County.